Here’s a quick recap of the top 8 celebrities who are lucky enough to have twins.
The most recent new addition is Oscar winner Hilary Swank, who at 48 is one of the oldest celebrities to have twins through IVF. She announced the news on her Instagram account with a photo of herself holding her two newborns. “It wasn’t easy. But boy (and girl!) was it worth it,” she wrote in the caption. “Happy Easter! Posting from pure Heaven.”
Mariah Carey and her ex-husband, Nick Cannon, also had twins through IVF after she suffered a miscarriage which left her feeling “devastated”. Their twins, Moroccan and Monroe, were born in 2011 and are now 12 years old.
Nicole Richie also needed IVF to have her two children, Harlow and Sparrow. She and her husband Joel Madden have spoken openly about their struggles with infertility, and how they tried to conceive naturally for several years.
Her main problem was polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
PCOS is a hormonal disorder that can cause infertility. It is estimated that up to 20% of women in the United States have PCOS. World-wide the prevalence of PCOS is estimated between 4% and 20%.
The condition can cause a number of problems that can make it difficult to conceive, including:
- Irregular or absent menstrual cycles: This can make it difficult to track ovulation, which is the time when an egg is released from the ovary.
- High levels of male hormones: These hormones can interfere with ovulation and make it difficult for the body to maintain a pregnancy.
- Ovarian cysts: These cysts can block the fallopian tubes, which are the tubes that carry eggs from the ovaries to the uterus.
Nicole has said that she hopes her story will help other women who are struggling with infertility.
Other celebrities who have had twins but never publicly admitted to using IVF include:
Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony
The former couple welcomed twins, Max and Emme, in February 2008.
Rumors that they may have used fertility treatment persist because Lopez was 38 years old when she gave birth. However, there is also evidence to suggest that Lopez may have conceived her twins naturally because she has said that she was taking fertility supplements before she got pregnant.
Julia Roberts and Danny Moder
The couple welcomed twins, Hazel and Phinnaeus, in November 2004.
Julia Roberts was 36 years old when she gave birth to her twins and she and her husband, Danny Moder, had been married for three years before they got pregnant. She has spoken openly about her struggles with infertility. In an interview with Vanity Fair in 2004, she said, “We had some problems. We tried for a long time.” Ultimately, whether or not Julia Roberts used IVF is a matter of speculation. She has never publicly confirmed or denied using the treatment.
George and Amal Clooney
The couple also welcomed twins, Ella and Alexander, in June 2017.
Beyoncé and Jay-Z
The couple welcomed twins, Sir and Rumi, in June 2017.
Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky
The couple welcomed twin boys, Tristan and Sasha, in March 2014.
So how dangerous is it giving birth to twins instead of a single baby?
Obviously there is a higher risk of complications for both mother and babies. Here are some of the risks associated with twin births:
- Premature birth. Twins are more likely to be born prematurely than single babies. Premature babies are at increased risk of health problems, such as respiratory distress syndrome, necrotizing enterocolitis, and cerebral palsy.
- Low birth weight. Twins are also more likely to have low birth weight than single babies. Low birth weight babies are at increased risk of health problems, such as respiratory distress syndrome, necrotizing enterocolitis, and cerebral palsy.
- Twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS). TTTS is a rare condition that occurs in identical twins who share a placenta. In TTTS, one twin gets more blood than the other twin. This can lead to serious health problems for both twins, including growth restriction, heart failure, and death.
- Placental abruption. Placental abruption is a serious condition that occurs when the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus. Placental abruption can cause bleeding, which can be life-threatening for both the mother and the babies.
- Postpartum hemorrhage. Postpartum hemorrhage is a condition that occurs when a woman loses more than 500 milliliters of blood after childbirth. Postpartum hemorrhage can be life-threatening for the mother.
If you are pregnant with twins, it is important to get regular prenatal care and to be aware of the risks associated with twin births.
Here are some tips for reducing the risk of complications during a twin birth:
- Get regular prenatal care. This will allow your healthcare provider to monitor your pregnancy and to identify any potential problems early on.
- Eat a healthy diet. This will help to ensure that you and your babies are getting the nutrients they need.
- Get plenty of rest. This will help to reduce stress and to improve your overall health.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. These substances can harm your babies.
- Gain weight appropriately. Gaining too much or too little weight can increase the risk of complications.
- Be prepared for a possible preterm delivery. This means having a plan in place for where you will deliver your babies and who will be there to support you.
With careful planning and good prenatal care, you can increase your chances of having a safe and healthy twin birth.